1. Apples- An apple a day keeps weight gain at bay.
Eat more- Apples are the ideal on-the-go low-calorie snack. For a pielike treat, chop up a medium apple and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp allspice and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Pop in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
2. Steak- SELF magazine says that beef is often thought of as a diet buster, but eating it may help peel off the pounds.
Eat More- Try buying local organic beef; “its healthier for you and the environment”.
3. Eggs- Eggs, yolks, and all. Eat more of them.
Eat More- Omelets and scrambles are a great way to play with simple additions, try; peppers, onion, lean protein, etc.
4. Kale- One raw cup contains 34 calories and 1.3 grams of fiber!
Eat More- Braise chopped kale and apples. Before serving sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and chopped walnuts.
5. Oats- Instant oats provide 3-4 grams of fiber per serving.
Eat More- Oats help lower cholesterol and are a favorite cookie for kids of all ages!
6. Lentils- Are a bona fide belly flattner.
Eat More- Lentils’ contribution to heart health lies not just in their fiber, but in the significant amounts of folate and magnesium these little wonders supply.
7. Goji Berries- These tart berries have over 18 amino-acids which make them an excellent source of protein for your mid-morning snack.
Eat More- Mix them into a cup of low-fat greek yogurt and enjoy!
8. Wild Salmon- fish fats are healthy and contain important omega-3 fatty acids.
Eat More- I have a less than healthy recipe for smoked salmon brushetta. Ask me for this if you are interested.
9. Buckwheat Pasta- Buckwheat pasta is different then most because it contains carbs and proteins, which makes this pasta very satiating.
Eat More- Cook this pasta as you do rice: Simmer it, covered, over low heat.
10. Blue berries- Blueberries, or berries with a blue hue have the highest level of antioxidants.
Eat More– Same as with Goji Berries, top your greek yogurt with a handful of blueberries, or better yet top your blueberries with greek yogurt and let the berry be the main ingredient.
What is your favorite superfood? Did it make the list?